Sunday 8 May 2011

Time to try Crossfit

I have been playing with the idea of joining a crossfit gym for sometime now. The gym I currently lift weights is full of students - mainly women that spend hours on the treadmill and men that sit an curl for the same length of time. Up until recently, this has been good enough for me as I was happy in my own little workout bubble. I think this bubble truly burst a few weeks ago.

I was setting up my last set of 55kg, when I noticed a woman walking into the normally male filled environment of the weights section. I paused, interested to see if she was coming to do some weights training but was disappointed to discover she was just here to talk to her boyfriend. As I started my set, the man greeted another friend and started discussing his recent injury in front of me. I am fully aware that listening in to other peoples conversations is rude however, it is a little hard not to when the are speaking loudly and directly in front of you. Trying hard to zone out, I ignore them and struggle to finish. Absolutely exhausted, I then lean on the bar to recover and tune back into the conversation. Her bf's friend is asking her if she does weights too...
The woman loudly scoffs, declares "Dear god no! I wouldn't want to end up like him. Girls don't do weights." and pats her bf's huge arms. It is at this point she happens to glance in my direction to be greeted with my incredulous open mouthed stare... Girls don't do weights?
Here I am, sweating like a pig and pretty damn proud of the fact that girls DO do weights, and heavy ones too. At least she had the decency to blush!

I am so tired of the opinions that the average women hold about weightlifting.
"I don't want to get bulky". Oh my goodness, if I had a pound for every time I heard that...
I am tired of the men that stare at me as if I shouldn't be there, even though in some cases I am lifting heavier and with better form than they are.
I am simply tired of my gym.
Angry and frustrated, I posted on the Strong Is the New Skinny Facebook page and received an interesting response.
Change your gym and preferably join crossfit. Well why not?
Firstly, although crossfit looks so amazingly good, it is also a little bit daunting to someone like me. And although I have been fascinated by it for such a long time, I have been too damn scared to take that jump.
Secondly, there are no "nearby" crossfit/power lifting gyms. SINS took these two points and figuratively stomped on them. Crossfit would be perfect for me and even though they are far away, I could easily travel to it once a week... After a few tentative emails, I have decided visit my nearest crossfit gym and see how I get on!

This is a massive step for me. I am so excited and so nervous at the same time. I just hope that crossfit is everything I hope it to be and that my form isn't too shocking ;) Anyway, I join tomorrow...
Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Crossfit is intimidating to everyone at first. The trainers know that. Everyone in the gym knows that, and you won't find a more encouraging and helpful group of people anywhere in fitnessland. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete